When it came to games, we played and we played hard, and we had a lot of fun! We had a really nice setup in the back yard at 602 S. 800 W. so the neighbor kids would come over a lot to play. It was a big sand box with a very big swing set/slide and a few other toys on it. We'd make rivers in the sandbox and play with our barbies, etc. We also had a grassy island in front of the house that we would play football or soccer on with some of the neighbor kids. We rode our bikes to DI and sometimes went in and looked around. There was a homeless guy, don't remember his name, that we would talk to all the time. I'm not sure if he worked there or what but he was always around.
We'd also spend hours a day in the library reading books, and sometimes they had activities there. My favorite was when they had block parties in the street and the whole community was invited to go.
We also played the normal games of childhood; duck duck goose, red rover, hide and seek, tag. When Uncle Steven and grandma came over for birthdays we would play hide and seek almost every time. Even though we hid in all the same places, it never got old. I think Uncle Steven was my favorite playmate. We didn't get to see him that much. Later on he became our favorite babysitter.
A game I remember fondly was when grandma Laird would come and I would hide her purse so she couldn't leave. We only saw her on birthdays and major holidays so when she'd get ready to go, she couldn't because I hid her purse. I never wanted her to leave.
Sometimes we would slide down the stairs on a mattress or a garbage sack. That was a lot of fun. We also used an old hospital bed that was in the boys' room downstairs as a jail or fortress. The rails came down so it worked great as a jail. We would lock up the daycare kids in that and laugh at them. Yes, I am aware that it was mean but it was fun.
I also remember using the old pampers boxes as barbie houses. I also used to crochet barbie skirts and tops for my dolls. My mom would sometimes make us some clothes for them too.
I remember Michael had this cool trick bike with a banana seat that was so hard to ride. We also used to ride our roller skates around the block. It was a good childhood. If anyone else remembers some games we played, please share.
No comments:
Post a Comment