Monday, September 22, 2014
What is your full name and how did you get that name? Any nicknames?
My full name is Elizabeth Ann Emerson Gardner. The story of how I came to get my name is a little interesting. I know the story well because any time I was feeling down in the dumps my dad would take me for a walk around the grassy island in front of our house and tell me the story. It goes like this...
When my parents were first married the thing they wanted most in the world was to have a family. They wanted to fill their home with children. Instead of waiting a year or two like many people do, they tried to begin their family immediately. It was not going to be easy, however. After a few years and 4 miscarriages (one that was lost at 24 weeks) my parents began to lose hope of having their family. My mother became pregnant again and was really worried she wouldn't carry to term. She went to the Dr. often. Dr. Stobe was his name. She carried this baby for nearly 5 months and was beginning to have hope that this one would live. Then one day she started to bleed. Full of panic, my mom went to the Dr. and he told her the baby was still alive but that the placenta was behind her cervix and if she wanted to baby to live she had to lie in bed for the remainder of her pregnancy. She was not to get up even to go to the bathroom or to bathe. Neighbors and friends came to help her with the bedpan and her bathing. They came to feed her and clean her house and do her laundry, and sometimes to just visit with her.
Then one day very near to her due date she started feeling some cramping. My dad took her to the hospital and they told her, "Karen, you are in labor and because of where the placenta is we have to do an emergency c-section". During the pregnancy they didn't dare name the child because it would just hurt more if they lost the baby so they hadn't even thought of a name. My dad gave my mother a blessing that the baby would be healthy and strong and that her name should be Elizabeth because the name means promised of God and God was promising her that she would have this child. I was born a few minutes later. I weighed 7 lbs 8 oz and was 21 inches long. I was healthy and happy and grew and developed the way babies do. My middle name comes from my grandmothers. They were both named Ann. Emerson is my father's last name (and my mother's) so it became mine until I married my wonderful husband! Then I took on his name, Gardner.
I did have a few nicknames growing up. My parents didn't like nicknames. He believed your name should be the one you were given by your parents and none other. Growing up, kids called me Elizabeth until in Jr. High one mean girl started calling me Lezzie Lizzie. I hated it but for the most part, ignored her. I did not want that name to stick. In high school a few close friends called me Liz but I mostly went by Elizabeth. Please don't call me Lezzie Lizzie. :)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Elizabeth is and always will be a beautiful name. You and your life, love and the woman you have become is why each of our daughters bear a part of your name. Be proud of it as it is a sign of prophecy fulfilled.
ReplyDelete